What Material Should I Choose?
All of our wall mural materials are high quality, commercial grade wallcoverings. However, each one has its own unique merits that make it better for certain applications. Here are a list of questions to help you decide on the perfect material.
Are you looking for a mural with texture?
- Texture hides imperfections in the wall and reduces glare.
- Our Eco Bella™ and Canvas materials have the most texture of our materials.
Do you want it to look like a photograph or more like a painting?
What is the lighting?
Does your wall have a texture?
- For lightly textured walls (orange peel, knock-down), we recommend our Eco Bella™ Smooth or Canvas materials. Prepasted Wallpaper and SmartStick® are NOT recommended for walls with texture.
- If you have a heavily textured wall, a wood-paneled wall, a wall made from cinder block, or any other rough surface, we recommend the installation of a 'liner paper', followed by 2 coats of flat latex paint prior to installing your mural. A liner paper is simply blank wallpaper which covers irregularities in the wall surface allowing the wall mural to adhere securely to the textured wall.
Do you need a fire rating?
- All of our materials are fire rated, but they are at different levels. Check your building codes or with your fire department to find out which rating your application requires.
- Our Prepasted Wallpaper, Eco Bella™ Smooth, and Smartstick®, have a Class A fire rating.
- Our Canvas material has a Class B fire rating, which may not meet all fire codes.
Will children be in contact with the mural?
- For kids' rooms, we recommend our Eco Bella™ Smooth material or Prepasted Wallpaper, as they are our most durable options. A protective top coat may be applied for further protection.
Are you installing the mural in a high traffic area or area where it will need to be cleaned frequently?
- If your mural is going to be in a high traffic area or area where it will need to be cleaned frequently, we recommend our Eco Bella™ Smooth material, as it is our most durable option. Our Prepasted Wallpaper may also be used with the addition of a protective top coat.
Are you hiring an installer?
- It is common that professional wallpaper installers prefer to work with a wall covering that requires wallpaper paste. Eco Bella™ Smooth and Canvas both require paste and are great options. Prepasted Wallpaper has a water activated adhesive backing and Smartstick®, has a sticky backing (no paste). Check with your installer to see what materials they are comfortable installing.
Is the mural a temporary installation?
- Our SmartStick® material is often chosen for temporary applications because it is self-adhesive, so there is no paste to clean up when you remove it.
- Grommets cam be added to our Canvas material, so that you can hang your mural using the grommets, and move it whenever you would like. Just contact an account representative to have grommets added to your canvas mural.
Are you looking for a mural to go on a window or glass surface?
We have three great choices for window and glass applications.
We also carry several special order materials that can be found at the bottom of our materials page. Please call 888-558-0279 for more information about these materials.
If you still have questions, please contact us and we can help you choose the material that is best for your home or business.