Frequently Asked Questions
Quick Help Links
Materials & Care
Yes. Most customers install their own murals. Our Eco Bella ™ Smooth and Canvas murals go up much like wallpaper. Our Prepasted Wallpaper is very similar to wallpaper, however the adhesive is already on the backing. Our SmartStick®; material is very similar to a peel-and-stick wall décor. If you prefer professional installation, please click here to find a Professional Installer in your area.
On our website, you can choose from 4 commercial grade materials. Click on any of them to see more information.
Additionally, we carry special-order materials, some of which are listed below. Please contact us or call 888-558-0279 if you would like to know more about our other materials.
No. Our Eco Bella™ Smooth and Canvas murals will need to be applied with paste. Our SmartStick® material is a peel-and-stick wall décor. You simply remove the backing when placing it on your wall. However, our Prepasted Wallpaper is prepasted. To activate the paste, spray a fine mist of lean water to the pasted surface.
- For lightly textured walls (orange peel, knock-down), we recommend our Eco Bella™ Smooth or Canvas materials, which have a textured backing. Materials with a smooth backing and smooth surface, such as our Prepasted Wallpaper and Smartstick&Reg; will show the texture of the wall (or any imperfections on the wall surface) much more than Eco Bella™ or Canvas. SmartStick® and Prepasted Wallpaper are NOT recommended for walls with texture.
- If you have a heavily textured wall, a wood-paneled wall, a wall made from cinder block, or any other rough surface, we recommend the installation of a 'liner paper', followed by 2 coats of flat latex paint prior to installing your mural. A liner paper is simply blank wallpaper which covers irregularities in the wall surface allowing the wall mural to adhere securely to the textured wall.
Our materials are not recommended for outdoor installation.
Our SmartStick® is a great option for glass, because it does not require paste, which would show on the "back" side of a mural. Please note that the image will not be printed on both sides and the material is not translucent.
All of our materials have great durability, however, our Eco Bella™ Smooth material is the most durable and scratch-resistant. We recommend Eco Bella™ Smooth for high traffic areas or areas where children will have contact with the mural. For added protection, a top coat can be applied.
- For our Eco Bella™ Smooth material, you can clean your mural using general purpose cleaners or water.
- For murals that are top coated, simply wipe the mural with a damp sponge.
- For murals that are not top coated, you can lightly wipe with a dry cloth, but they can discolor if scrubbed harshly or if exposed to liquids for cleaning.
Protective top coat is a clear, matte, polyurethane finish that is applied to your mural by our production staff. Topcoat adds extra protection to the surface, aiding against scratches as well as making cleaning the mural much easier without damage. We recommend tthe application of a protective top coat for any murals that are in high traffic areas, kids' rooms, or areas with high moisture.
- All of our materials are fire rated at different levels. Check your building codes or with your fire department to find out which rating your application requires.
- Our Prepasted Wallpaper, Eco Bella™ Smooth, and SmartStick® have a Class A fire rating.
- Our Canvas material has a Class B fire rating, which may not meet all fire codes.
All of our products are commercial grade. Eco Bella™ Smooth - Type II, Class A. SmartStick® - Type I, Class A. Prepasted Wallpaper - Type I, Class A. Canvas Type I, Class B. For additional Type II Commercial materials click here
- Our Vinyl has a glossier sheen that reflects light, which makes it look shinier.
- No, the murals are not shiny. Eco Bella™ Smooth, Prepasted Wallpaper, Canvas and SmartStick® have all have a matte (non-shiny) finish.
Our SmartStick® material is somewhat opaque, which will allow some light to pass through it. The mural's design and amount of ink on the mural will impact how much light can pass through the mural. You can request a free, non-printed swatch here, to test the material, or you can order samples for $10 that have your specific design printed on them by clicking the ''order a sample'' link on any product page.
For high moisture areas, like bathrooms, basements with humidity, or pool areas, we recommend our Eco Bella™ material. You can also use our vinyl and canvas murals, but they must be coated with a water-based polyurethane (several light coats) to protect them from moisture. In addition, if you suspect moisture exists behind the wall, an adhesive containing a mildewcide should be used. SmartStick® is not recommended for damp and humid locations.
For kids' rooms, we recommend our Eco Bella™ material, as it is our most durable option. Our Vinyl can also be used, however top coat is highly recommended.
If your mural is going to be in a high traffic area or area where it will need to be cleaned frequently, we recommend our Eco Bella™ material, as it is our most durable option. Our Vinyl can also be used, however top coat is highly recommended.
- Our murals are installed just like wallpaper, although they are wider than normal wallpaper so you have fewer seams.
- Our Canvas and Eco Bella™ Smooth are installed just like wallpaper, and you must use wallpaper paste.
- Prepasted Wallpaper requires no paste. Using a wallpaper hand sprayer or household spray bottle, activate the paste by spraying a fine mist of clean water to the pasted surface.
- Our SmartStick® material is peel and stick, so no paste is required. However, it can be a little trickier to line up panels of SmartStick®, as you don't have the ability to 'slide' the panels like you do when using paste.
- Depending on the application, the easiest material to install can vary.
- For small, one panel murals, many find our SmartStick® material to be easy to install and remove because it requires no paste.
- For larger, or multiple panel murals, Eco Bella™ Smooth, Prepasted Wallpaper or Canvas are easier to install, as you can 'slide' the panels to match up before the paste sets.
If the wall prior to installation is prepped correctly according to the Installation Procedure, the removal of a mural should not damage your wall. If the mural is double cut however, there may be damage to the wall if you cut too deep during installation. Eco Bella™ Smooth, Canvas and Prepasted Wallpaper may leave a water soluble glue residue that can be removed with a wet sponge.
- Our SmartStick® material is often chosen for temporary applications because it is self-adhesive, so there is no paste to clean up when you remove it.
- Grommets can be added to our Canvas material and can be hung instead of pasted to your wall. Just contact an account representative or call 800-588-0279 to have grommets added to your canvas mural.
Although some have had good luck with removing and reinstalling a SmartStick® mural, we do not guarantee that it will work. Many factors can impact the effectiveness of the adhesive, like dust or debris, damage during transport, fresh paint behind the mural in the new location, and others. We only recommend SmartStick® as a single installation.
Our SmartStick® material sticks very well when the installation instructions are followed completely. That includes installing on a smooth surface, properly cleaning and preparing the wall, and others.
- No, our canvas does not come on a frame. It is rolled onto a tube, just like wallpaper. You can choose to stretch a single panel mural on a frame, but please note, multiple panel murals are not able to be stretched on a frame and will need to be installed with paste.
- A better option for a canvas mural to be hung without paste is to have grommets added, then hang the mural from the grommets. Simply contact us for assistance with adding grommets to your mural.
- You can get a free, unprinted, 4''x 6'' swatch of our materials by visiting this page. This is great if you want to touch and feel the materials themselves, but haven't decided on an image.
- If you would like a particular image printed as a sample, they are available for $10 each. Just visit the product page for the mural you are interested in, then click on the "Order a Sample" link, which can be found under the Add to Cart button on every product page.
- You can also have a strike-off of any image printed, which is a portion of the mural printed at full size to show colors and image quality for $35. Please contact us or call 800-588-0279.
Sizing & Cost
- Our images: Minimum size of 24 square feet, with no maximum.
- Your image/custom murals: No minimum required size, with no maximum.
- You pick the size based on the size of your wall and whether you want it to fit the entire wall or a portion of the wall.
- Each mural is printed-on-demand based on your size preference.
- You may need to crop or stretch a particular image to meet exact measurement.
There is a minimum mural size of 24 square feet on our gallery images, due to artist licensing requirements.
There really is no maximum, within reason. The direction of the image may determine a maximum size more than anything. A person wouldn't want to take a vertical image and stretch it to fit a hallway because of the way it would distort an image. If you have questions about making an image work, give us a call. We will help you determine how best to put a Murals Your Way mural on your wall.
- Using our image: $8.00 per square foot based on finished mural size.
- Using your image (custom mural): $8.00 per square foot based on finished mural size. Minimum prices apply.
SmartStick® Peel & Stick Wall Covering
- Using our image: $9.00 per square foot based on finished mural size.
- Using your image (custom mural): $9.00 per square foot based on finished mural size. Minimum prices apply.
Eco Bella™ Smooth Eco-friendly Wall Covering
- Using our image: $10.00 per square foot based on finished mural size.
- Using your image (custom mural): $10.00 per square foot based on finished mural size. Minimum prices apply.
Embellitex™ Artist Quality Canvas
- Using our image: $11.00 per square foot based on finished mural size.
- Using your image (custom mural): $11.00 per square foot based on finished mural size. Minimum prices apply.
No. A receipt is not necessary to enter. Winners may be required to provide proof of purchase.
The contest is ongoing.
1st quarter submission deadline - March 31st
2nd quarter submission deadline - June 30th
3rd quarter submission deadline - September 30th
4th quarter submission deadline - December 31st
Entries received after the dates above will be submitted for the next contest. We reserve the right to modify or cancel the contest at any time without notice. Changes will be posted on our website. Decisions are final and not subject to review.
Winners will be notified by phone or email.
Yes. However, by entering you give Murals Your Way the perpetual, non-exclusive rights to use the photo in any way, including but not limited to advertising and promotional use.
No. The photo you send becomes property of Murals Your Way and cannot be returned.
Using Your Own Images/Artwork for a Mural
Call us or email us. Tell us your concerns about the image and we can help you decide if it is going to turn out the way you want. We want you to love the mural you get, and we will do everything we can to ensure your image is going to turn out the way you want.
File size required is from 500KB to 20MB and in a .jpg or .tiff format. We also accept scanned and vectorized artwork. For more information visit our upload your own photo page for additional specifications and copyright questions. You can also visit our Image Quality page to check your image quality.
A developed image (in a small size) can't be scanned at high enough quality to expand the image into a wall mural. However if you have the negative of the photo, we will more than likely be able to generate a mural. Photographs taken with a digital camera at least larger than 6 megapixels will work best. The output of your mural is only as good as the input of your photo or image.
- By uploading your image and using the Murals Your Way 'Create Your Own' custom wall mural service you represent and warrant that (i) you lawfully own or otherwise lawfully possess all necessary rights with respect to your image submission, (ii) your image submission does not and will not infringe or otherwise violate any intellectual property or privacy right of any third party, (iii) you have obtained written consent or permission to use the images and likenesses of every identifiable individual who appears in your image submission, and (iv) you are not using this service for any unlawful purpose.
- A copyright gives its owner the right to copy, distribute, publicly display or create derivative works from the original work. A copyright also gives its owner the right to license those rights to others.
- Murals Your Way respects copyright laws and has the right to reject or refuse to print any images that do not follow copyright laws or that do not comply with our core values. Please make sure you own the rights or have permission to use any of the images you upload for us to print.
- We will never use, sell, promote, or print any of your images without your prior written consent - it's your work and it can't be used in any way without your permission.
- The files you upload are stored on our secure servers and may remain there for back-up purposes in case you need a reprint or your piece is damaged in shipment. If you want us to permanently delete your images from our server please let us know when you place your order and we will gladly comply. Otherwise files may be deleted off our server every six months without any notification. Make sure you back up your images.
- Murals Your Way cannot be held responsible for mailed photos that are lost in transit or damaged during delivery.
Yes, but it depends on the size mural you want. Give us a call and we can help you make sure you have the right quality and size for a mural.
Most likely the quality will not be sufficient for a murals. Also, you likely will need to have permission from the copyright holder.
Ordering & Shipping
Our murals are usually shipped within 4-7 business days but if you need your mural to arrive within 3 business days please use our Rush Order option at checkout or contact a Mural Consultant at 1-888-558-0279.
Yes. We welcome international orders and will ship to all locations served by UPS Worldwide Shipping. Please email us or call if you have any specific questions. You can also visit our international shipping page for a calculator or submit your shipping address info within our shopping cart to find UPS Worldwide shipping charges.
If you are unhappy with the quality of your mural we will work with you until you are 100% satisfied. Please see our Return Policy for more information.
Each mural comes rolled around a tube and then wrapped in a protective paper. The mural is then placed in a 59" x 5" x 5" cardboard box along with protective plastic end caps and foam inserts. This packaging exceeds UPS and FedEx required standards.
Please give our customer service department a call (1.888.558.0279). We will be able to check on the availability of your desired image as a mural.
There is no sales tax for purchases shipped outside of Minnesota.
After you place your order you will receive an email confirmation with your order details. Once your order has been completed and ships, you will receive an email with a UPS tracking number to monitor delivery.
We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Discover and PayPal. Contact our customer service if you would like to pay via Paypal.
Please contact us and tell us which image you want. We may be able to receive permission from the artist or licensor to sell a discontinued image.
We can add elements to an existing image such as adding your name or logo. We can also add photos to an image, add or remove portions of an image or make other design changes. Check out our personalization page or give us a call to learn more.
Yes. Select the grayscale option on our product page to convert the image to black and white. You can also choose to mirror or flip any image.
Proper surface preparation is key to getting great results. When installing Prepasted Wallpaper, Eco Bella™ Smooth or Canvas, glossy surfaces should be sanded to dull the surface and dust removed with a dry cloth OR the application of a heavy duty primer should be applied 72 hours prior to installation.
SmartStick® peel & stick wall murals will adhere to nearly any smooth surface. For best results, paint your wall 7-10 days prior to installing SmartStick® murals. Use an eggshell, satin or semi-gloss paint. Do not install SmartStick® on a wall with flat paint or primer. It is not recommended for high moisture areas, automobile windows, or above/near fireplaces and cribs.
For more information visit our installation page for additional specifications and common questions.
You will want to remove any light switch covers or other objects on the wall. Then carefully trim around your light switch or outlet with a cutting tool during the application phase of installation.
If you would prefer not to install your own mural, we can help you find someone who will. You can contact the National Guild of PaperHangers for a professional in your area.
Smooth walls are best when hanging our murals, however we understand that a smooth wall surface is not always achievable. If you have a lightly textured wall, orange peel or knockdown, prepasted wallpaper, Canvas and Eco Bella™ are great options. SmartStick® should be installed on smooth surfaces only. You can find more information about preparing your wall or you can contact us and we will find an appropriate material and method for any job.
If you don’t like the look of an overlap on a multi-panel mural, you can easily "double-cut" the overlap to create a seamless look.
Never pre-trim your mural. After your mural has been adhered you may need to trim some overage. The overage is to accommodate irregular walls or ceiling lines.